When we developed our Rhubarb & Custard Ice Cream it was only a matter of time before we had to serve a scoop (or two!) on top of a home-made crumble. We’ve developed this Chunky Rhubarb Crumble recipe to complement our tart and creamy Rhubarb & Crumble Ice Cream. Fresh out of the oven, this crumble recipe is the perfect winter warmer. Did you know this flavour scooped up two awards in 2018? Find our more on our award-winning News post.
Marshfield Top Tips
We’ve added vanilla essence to our rhubarb base to pull in a sweet note to complement the custard flavour in the ice cream and contrast with the tartness of fresh rhubarb. But our biggest top tip is to mix your sugar up in your crumble topping! Demerara sugar adds a bite to your crumble topping and muscovado (soft brown) sugar creates a darker and richer flavour.
- 400g rhubarb (cut roughly into 1inch pieces)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla paste
- 50g caster sugar
- 100g plain flour
- 75g cold, unsalted butter
- 40g demerara sugar
- 30g muscovado sugar
- 1 handful of chopped nuts
- Preheat your oven to 200 ºC and set aside your ovenproof dish(s) – we’ve gone for individual ramakins, but one large dish will work just as well!
- Mix together your rhubarb chunks with caster sugar, then stir through the vanilla paste. Spoon into your dishes and set aside.
- Sift your flour into a large bowl, add your butter and use your fingertips to mix into a fine crumb.
- Add your sugar, stirring this through lightly with a wooden spoon to maintain a crumb consistency.
- Tip the crumble mix over the rhubarb dishes, allowing the mixture to cover the dishes evenly and finish with a sprinkle of chopped nuts (keep it light – don’t press your mix down!)
- Place your dishes on a baking tray to catch any drips and bake for 40 minutes, or until golden and bubbling.
- Serve with warmed custard and a scoop of Rhubarb and Custard Ice Cream. Out of ice cream? Find your nearest ice cream stockist here.